Gingered Scallops with Caramelized Pineapple Salsa
This recipe needs
- 20 Clearwater Jumbo Sea Scallops
- 1 Ginger root peeled coarsely
- 2 tbsp Pickled ginger minced fine
- 1 cup Rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup White sugar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 Limes zest and juice
- 1 Orange zest, sectioned and juice reserved
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 100 ml Canned coconut milk
- 1 small sweet potato peeled and minced fine
- 350 ml water
- 25 ml Vietnamese fish sauce
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- ½ pineapple peeled and diced small
- ½ red pepper
- 1 tomato seeded and diced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 bunch cilantro chiffonade (shredded fine)
- 20 cashew nuts minced
- 8 baby Bok Choy
- 25 ml sesame oil
- 50 ml peanut or sunflower oil
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tbsp soy reduction
- Wash Bok Choy and reserve.
- Prepare ginger syrup by simmering ginger peelings and vinegar with sugar, honey, and orange juice until it becomes syrupy.
- Reserve in a squeeze bottle.
- Prepare salsa by sautéing diced pine apple over high heat in a non stick pan with sesame oil.
- Once pineapple starts to color add shallot, ginger, diced pepper and tomato
- Cook one minute and take off heat. Stir in cilantro.
- Add fish sauce, lime juice and zest. Reserve warm.
- Prepare rice by rinsing rice well and cooking with water, coconut milk, sweet potato and kaffir lime leaves. Reserve warm.
- Season scallops and sear in oil over high heat.
- Once turned and cooked for 30 seconds add 2 tbsp ginger syrup and immediately remove from heat.
- Toss to coat and place on a plate. Reserve warm.
- Quickly toss bok Choy in a hot pan with a bit of sea salt and pepper.
- There will be enough water on the leaves from washing to steam.
- Place a bed of rice on the 4 plates and top with 5 scallops.
Spoon some salsa around and place two Bok Choy beside. Garnish with soy reduction if desired.