Crispy Basil, Tomato Confit Serves 4 people
This recipe needs
- 4 X 1.25 lbs Clearwater Live Lobsters
- 8 cups Baby Spinach, washed
- 1 cup Light chicken broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream, 35%
- ¼ cup Dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp Shallots, finely minced
- 10 Fennel seeds
- 2 Bay Leaf
- 2 cups Olive oil
- 1 bulb Whole Garlic
- 12 Cherry tomatoes, vine ripened
- 1 bunch Sweet Basil
- 1 Lemons, juice and zest
- pinch Cracked Black Pepper
- pinch Sea salt
- As required Additional sea salt for cooking
- Bring olive oil and garlic to a simmer and immediately reduce heat to low (approximately 50oC, not too hot to touch)
- Wash tomatoes and place in warm oil for at least 30 minutes until tender
- In a pot of salted water, quickly blanch spinach and cool in ice water. Remove excess moisture by gently squeezing. Reserve
- Bring a large (15 litres) pot of salted water to a boil and cook Lobsters for 9-10 minutes. Cool at once by plunging briefly in ice water.
- Remove meat from the shells and reserve warm.
- In a heavy bottom pot, add half of the olive oil and gently cook shallots, fennel seeds and bay leaf until aromatic but not coloured.
- Add white wine and chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Pick 12 nice small basil leaves and reserve for frying.
- Add cream, spinach and any remaining basil leaves to the chicken stock and immediately purée until smooth.
- Adjust seasoning of spinach purée with salt and pepper
- Deep fry basil leaves until crispy in hot oil.
- Divide spinach purée evenly between 4 plates
- Top purée with Lobster in an artistic fashion
- Garnish with 3 olive oil poached cherry tomatoes and 3 crispy basil leaves
- Serve with a side salad or seasonal vegetable