Fennel Poached Scallops
This recipe needs
- 45 lbs FAS Sea Scallops, 20-30 count
- 2 heads Cauliflower
- 4 cups Cream
- 1 cup Butter
- 30 Fennel seeds
- 2 Fennel Bulb
- 4 leeks washed and sliced into rings
- Sea Salt as required
- Pepper as required
- 1 bunch Chives, snipped
- 4 cups White wine
- 1/3 cup Pernod liquor (pastis)
- 5 bay leaves
- Cook cauliflower until very tender in salted water with fennel seeds.
- Drain water and add cream to the pot. Simmer 2 minutes and then puree until smooth. Reserve.
- In a large heavy bottom pot, melt butter with leeks, fennel, bay leaves and fennel seeds until aromatic and tender but not colored. Add wine and Pernod and bring to a boil. Add scallops and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and gently cook for a few minutes until scallops are just barely cooked. Remove scallops to a colander to drip. Catch drippings in another vessel and add back to the juices remaining in the pan.
- Stir in cauliflower puree. Pour puree in the bottom of a chafing dish and add scallops. Sprinkle with chives and/or parsley.
- 200 people buffet style